Independent Communications Authority of South Africa
The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) has issued the National Radio Frequency Plan 2013 (NRFP-13) in terms of the Electronic Communications Act (2005) which provides for the control of the radio frequency spectrum.
The NRFP-13 applies to radio services in the radio frequency bands between 8.3 kHz - 3000 GHz.
In terms of the act ICASA controls, plans and manages the use and licensing of the radio frequency spectrum.
Spectrum allocations are therefore reviewed regularly by ICASA to reflect the evolving pattern of radio use, particularly in the field of technology.
The NRFP includes the following:
• Table of frequency allocations, including rules of usage and restrictions.
• Details for amateur, aeronautical, radio astronomy and maritime usage.
The following changes and inclusions have been made in the NRFP:
• To reflect agreements taken at international and regional levels including those at the World Radio Communications Conferences in 2012, with the African Telecommunication Union (ATU) and with the Southern African Development Community (SADC).
• To reflect the 2012 version of the ITU Radio regulations, including updates on the table of frequency allocations extending up to 3000 GHz.
• To reflect the current South African national footnotes and corrections of typographical errors of previous editions of the NRFP (previously termed the South African Table of Frequency Allocations).
• Reference to the Astronomy Geographic Advantage Act (2007) is covered in a separate chapter in view of the award of the square kilometre array (SKA) to South Africa.
• Updated ISM frequency bands in line with Gazette 34172, 31 March 2011, (Radio Frequency Spectrum Regulations).
• Added new maritime and aeronautical allocations below 20 MHz and new satellite allocations above 70 GHz.
The NRFP-13 was published in notice 354 in Gazette 36336 on 28 June 2013.
The draft NRFP was published in Gazette 36025 on 21 December 2012 for public comment.
Sabinet Cape Town Office